[TYPO3] Typo3 Super Noob - Site Transfering

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Mon Mar 10 17:03:03 CET 2008

Hi!

Christopher wrote:
> I have been given the responsibility of a new site for my company. Its
> Typo3, and is on a server that we have to move away from. I was sent a zip
> file of the files on the old server. I was able to get the new version of
> Typo3 installed on my new server. Now I am lost. The files structure is
> totally different. I have used Joomla extensively, and have been managing
> pages for years, but never used Typo3. I am studying it furiously, but I
> need to get the site up and visible asap. I can find no good forum posts
> dealing with transferring... I am at wits end, the only contact I had from
> the old typo3 manager was that all I had to do was unzip, change the sql
> password, and all would be well....I can post the two versions of the folder
> trees for comparison...Any assistance anyone can provide would be GREATLY
> appreciated...  I don't think it should be super difficult to transfer, even
> with how deep Typo3 is...But nothing seems to match up...

Here is how to do it from scratch.

- Download TYPO3 source package and unzip it. It will create something like typo3_src-4.1.4 directory.
- Symlink this directory to typo3_src:
	ln -s typo3_src-4.1.4
- Create directory for web site
- In that directory symlink t3lib, typo3 and index.php to corresponding items in typo3_src:
	ln -s /path/to/typo3_src/t3lib
	ln -s /path/to/typo3_src/typo3
	ln -s /path/to/typo3_src/index.php
- Extract only fileadmin, uploads and typo3conf from the zip (forget t3lib, typo3temp, typo3 directories).
- Export database on the old server:
	mysqldump --opt -u dbuser -p dbname >dump.sql
- Import database on the new server
	mysql -u dbuser -p dbname < dump.sql
- Go to http://yourdomain.com/typo3/install and change database settings of necessary. Also see what it tells about directory permissions and fix those
- Go to database analyzer and use COMPARE to check and update all tables
- Login to backend and update extensions

If you need to update TYPO3 version in future, you will need to change one symlink: typo3_src.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team