[TYPO3] Typo3 Super Noob - Site Transfering

Francois Suter fsuter at cobweb.ch
Mon Mar 10 16:54:59 CET 2008

Hi,

It's not quite what you have done or not, but let's try to guess

 > I was able to get the new version of
 > Typo3 installed on my new server.

You downloaded the source code from typo3.org. Is that correct? Did you
really get the source or did you get the dummy, or the dummy and the source?

> I was sent a zip file of the files on the old server.

I suppose what you got were the local files, which would explain why...

> The files structure is totally different.

TYPO3 is designed to be deployed with a "local" part which stands in the
web root with symbolic links to the source code (which is generally
placed outside the web root).

So normally the steps you should have to take are:

- create a new database and load the SQL dump you received into it (if
it later all looks like garbage it may be that encoding of dump and
database don't match => redo from start)

- unzip what you received and place it in the web root of your new server

- download the source code of TYPO3 and place it somewhere outside the
web root

- in the stuff you unzip, you should have broken symbolic links.
Basically you should have something like:

index.php -> typo3_src/index.php
t3lib -> typo3_src/t3lib/
typo3 -> typo3_src/typo3/
typo3_src -> /path/to/typo3/src/

or something similar. That's if you're running under Unix. If running
Windows, you can't have symbolic links, so you have to copy the stuff
from the source code to your local directory (typo3 into typo3, t3lib
into t3lib, and index.php to the web root).

- in typo3conf folder, you should have a file called localconf.php.
That's where you need to change the database name, username and password.

- then you need to make sure that folder fileamdin, typo3conf, typo3temp
and uploads are writable by the web server

You should normally have something running then, although you may have
more configuration to do.

HTH for a start.

--

Francois Suter