[TYPO3] [advice?] Finding the right extension

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Sat Mar 8 16:56:54 CET 2008

Hello,

I would like to know whether someone may give me a good advice for using
the best-suitable extension to manage groups of persons.

My requirements are those:

- a person has a few attributes such as name, address and photograph
(tt_address seems just fine)

- persons are part of one a more group (addressgroups seems just fine)

- groups are hierarchical:
    -- A
       ¦-- B
       `-- C
   if I choose to display the group "A", in fact, I would like to get
*all* persons, both from A, B and C (this seems not to be allowed by
addressgroups)

- Persons are not only part of a group, they have a function in that
group, such as "President", "Manager" ,... (addressgroups seems not to
be able to deal with this)
- In addition, may persons may have the same function (such as "Public
Relationship") but with different responsabilities (for public group X,
public group Y, ...)
- I would like to be able to order functions in a group to get the
president at the top of the list, with a section <h#>President</h#> for
instance.

- I would like to display group XY on a page, but for each person it
would be really nice to get a link to a detailed view of the person's
properties to get, for instance, all groups she is member of.

Do you know a name for such an extension?

wec_staffdirectory seems to do this but I tried many months ago and it
seems that it did not support a person to be member of multiple groups,
leading me to be forced to recreate the person for each group she is
member of, that is not manageable.

If the answer is "do it yourself based on tt_address and addressbooks,
then that's OK but I do not want to reinvent the wheel if an existing
extension does it for me :-)

Thanks for any advice.

Xavier Perseguers