[TYPO3] Crawler + special characters = wrong output

Xander Damen xander at roquin.nl
Mon Mar 3 14:09:21 CET 2008

Hello everyone,

I've set up the crawler extension to index my tt_news-records. It
indexes fine, but when searching for records some characters (displayed
correctly on the website) are displayed as ?. I've also noticed that all
text in front of the first special character has been removed.

For example:
The title "Name: ‘quote’" is displayed in the search results as ?quote?

The records in question show up correctly in the frontend and backend
when viewing them.

Does anybody have a clue why this happened and how it can be fixed?

Thanks and best regards,

Xander Damen