[TYPO3] Special localization need

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Tue Jun 24 07:52:25 CEST 2008

Hello again,

I was a bit still asleep and missed an important point... :-)

The solution you give is OK to change the default language in a frontend
view. But the problem remains for backend editing/localizing.

I defined default language as English, that is I needed to add language
records to my root, namely French, German and Italian with
sys_language_uid 1, 2 and 3, 0 being English.

When I create a content element it is defined as "default language"
which I remain with a pageTS to read "English" and get the Britain flag
also.

Thus playing with config.language and so on I may choose another default
language for the frontend and with realurl, if I define a preVar for
English (=0), I get my website in the default language without prefix or
in one of the 4 languages with prefix. OK.

But the user still has to first create content in English to be able to
translate it later.

I think, in order to go to the end with this problem, I should create a
fourth language record in my root for English, user would then have this
when he chooses to translate his page:

(default)
French
German
Italian
English

That is, he may type his master content in whatever language he likes
and then translate it to one of this other language. Depending on the
default language, I could then say that the English version for instance
is either the sys_language_uid = 0 or the sys_language_uid = 4. I think
it will work.

But what would be really great would be to hide the language record
which is already "present" as default language. Thus hiding the
sys_language_uid = 4 when default language is English and hiding
sys_language_uid = 1 when default language is French.

Is this possible?

I would then have all cards in hand to achieve my goal!

--
Xavier