[TYPO3] RealURL / cache_pages

Vincent Mans typo3.vincnet at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 07:39:39 CEST 2008

Thanks! This seems to be the final clue to this problem. After
persisting that this must be the cause of the problem, the system
admin found a script running somewhere that checks broken links. Then,
if some url is defined in the script (might even be a
wildcard.domain.tld) which is not defined in the TYPO3 environment,
the url resolves but the domain is unknown to RealURL. Which causes
the fall back: when visited from the not defined URL/domainname, the
page cache gets updated with a default link while the RealURL tables
still hold the readable url.

This has led to a few questions:
1) Is it a feature that the page cache gets updated for a domain that
doesn't exist in the TYPO3 environment? Especially for larger
organisations with extensive pagetrees this page cache mechanism may
cause trouble. Or is there a trick that I don't know of (who knows
what I know)?

2) It's definitely a feature that a config for RealURL is needed, but
are there plans to make it work differently? The rootpage ids and
domains are already available through the database. Point is, to pick
one, the divided roles in an organisation - the configfile may cause
extra system admin work for people who are often extremely busy. And
if they are, they don't understand why it works this way. Taking it
further: wouldn't it be easier if RealURL was manageable through
TypoScript, Page properties or a dedicated record at rootpage level?
On one hand, the autoconfig is already a very usefull tool, certainly
for the defaults, but it may need a system admin action (at least to
delete the file). But if it comes to tailor work config, then it's
different. E.g. CoolURI chooses an XML file, which is not what I mean.
I'm looking for consistency in backend activities.

Greetz,
Vincent