[TYPO3] New Videos for TYPO3 Editors

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Thu Jun 12 21:15:31 CEST 2008

Hi!

Silke Arend wrote:
> One thing I want to mention explicitly: Up to now, all videos are in wmv
> format, which is supposed to be playable on different systems. Do you
> think it is necessary to provide the videos in another format as well?

wmv is *Windows* media. It requires standalone software for Mac, which does not work seamlesly...

> We have tested various alternatives - but without any consistant result.
> Even the current avi files are not playable on all systems.

avi is just a container for *a*udio and *v*ideo *i*nformation. This is a file format. It can contain lots of things inside. Most likely you used codecs that do not exists on most systems :)

> Is their any-one with good knowledge in video-editing, who can help us
> out with a tip which format, codec and setting will lead to videos
> compatible to (nearly) all systems? Obviously, these files should be of
> descent quality and file size.

Indeo codecs are usually available. MPEG-2 is built-in everywhere now. Quicktime is also good (freely and easily downloadable for Windows). Flash videos are also popular and usually flash player is installed.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
E-mail: dmitry at typo3.org
Skype: callto:liels_bugs