[TYPO3] This time it is ok to display broken links!!!

Anthony Gallon anthony at studiojunkies.com
Thu Jul 10 11:22:35 CEST 2008

I came up with this grand idea that Typo3 can be used to manage my email templates, enabling not-so-technical staff to edit the email templates via the Typo3 CMS. Great in theory, and for the most part it works without a hitch, except...

I use a pattern like :|username|: for markers in my email templates, which get replaced with dynamic data. In the case of a hyperlink, the html would look like:

And in the database, it is stored like:

<link :|link_url|:>Link text</link>

But what happens when the page is viewed, Typo3 recognises the link as a broken or invalid link, so the "a" tag is not rendered, instead it outputs plain text. I don't mind that Typo3 does this, normally it would be a good thing. But in this case, I have a reason for putting an invalid url into the href attribute, because I know that when my email class retrieves the template from Typo3, the marker will be replaced with a dynamic url.

I've searched the Typo3 core code but can't find the point which this action occurs. Perhaps someone knows which file and method I need to go to, or some TS or TS config that could disable this behaviour for a given rootline ...

Cheers, Anthony.