[TYPO3] TYPO3 websites and smartphones

kindlerm at arcor.de kindlerm at arcor.de
Wed Jan 23 09:49:55 CET 2008

Hi Darko,

yes, you can develop great web sites for mobile devices with T3!
Probably you have to design for the mobile device as there are a lot of differences to desktop machines. Small screens, no (or poorly usable) keyboards, XHTML MP vs. HTML/XHTML, no (or poorly implemented) JavaScript, ...

Also, your web site probably has to distinguish which design to deliver based on HTTP header information. Technologies like WURFL (http://wurfl.sourceforge.org) are very helpful.

Good introductions to the development for mobile devices can be found on http://dev.mobi, http://www.passani.it/gap and http://www.w3.org/TR/mobile-bp/.

For T3 there are the extensions wurfl and wurfl2 which help to use WURFL from within T3. An introduction to wurfl2 can be found at
http://www.cityexperience.net/site/de/unternehmen/developers-corner/index.html. (The cityExperience site is an example for using the technologies). wurfl2 is a more up-to-date version of wurfl.

Martin