[TYPO3] Partial upgrade problem

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Sun Jan 6 07:05:23 CET 2008

Hi!

McGonegal Robert wrote:
> I've upgraded v 3.8.1 to 4.1.5 on localhost (the numbers "4.1.8" appear
> when I login to the Back End). It seems to work ok but _most_ of the

4.1.8 dos not look right.

> Back End still looks like 3.8.. it has the new logo and the red kayaker
> photo, but old horizontal login page design, 3.8.1 icons, tan menus etc.
>
> I deliberately installed v 3.8.1 because it's the only way I could
> discover to get the Quickstart site content in place to learn from
> (there is no longer a Quickstart for 4.1.5).
>
> To start the upgrade, I recreated the symlink to point to the 4.1.5
> source code: $ sudo ln -s ../typo3_src-4.1.5 cms

This does not look right to me. You symlinking typo3_src package to typo3/sysext/cms? This is not right.

> **There was still a heading "Remove unused fields" with a few fields
> still listed, so I did have to "Write to database" a second time.

This is not a problem. Some fields are first renamed to zzz_* and then you will be prompted second time to remove them.

> **When I went to view the Front End, it turned out /cms/index.php was
> linking to the wrong file, so I had to recreate a new symlink linking to
> the correct file.

I think it is because that wrong symlink.

TYPO3 src package contains index.php, t3lib/, typo3/ and some other files. Generally if you install *a new site* (below is about upgrades but read about installation first!) with future upgrades in mind, you should:

- unzip source package to somewhere (let's say to /var/www/typo3_src-4.1.5)
- create a symlink to it: ln -s /var/www/typo3_src-4.1.5 /var/www/typo3_src
- go to your your TYPO3-powered web site (say, /var/www/typo3-web-site) and, if exists, remove index.php, t3lib/, typo3/
- inside /var/www/typo3-web-site make symlinks this way:
	- ln -s ../typo3_src/index.php
	- ln -s ../typo3_src/t3lib
	- ln -s ../typo3_src/typo3

Next time when you upgrade you need only change where typo3_src points. For example, if you install TYPO3 4.2:
- go to /var/www
- unzip typo3_src-4.2
- ln -s typo3_src-4.2 typo3_src
- go to web site and use COMPARE in Install's database analyzer
- get yourself your favorite drink ;)

This is the easiest way to upgrade.

> I am busy reading the documentation but being a beginner and without
> knowing what's wrong, I hate to repeat the install/upgrade exactly the
> same way and expect different results. Can anyone suggest something
> simple I have missed or done incorrectly?

By the way, you description of the problem and taken steps was absolutely wonderful. If only we could have all bug reports describing problems with this level of details...

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team