[TYPO3] You don't have permission to access /typo3/alt_doc.php on this server.

SwagmanInternet typo3 at swagmaninternet.com
Wed Feb 13 09:03:13 CET 2008

Hi all,

I know this maybe a bit late but here is a solution on the same/similar
problem i experienced in one of my clients TYPO3 websites, (not hosted with
me).

Firstly I will write about the error I experienced... Possible problem with
CMS accessing files via symlinks or file permission issue?

Summary of error:
------------------

The Frontend/public view of the website appears to be displaying fine and we
are able to log in to the backend okay. We are able to select content
elements and open them for editing them and also able to create new pages
but when it comes to 1) saving the content we are editing or 2) saviing
newly created pages or 3) carrying out some other backend functions, (ie
clear cache), the page frame comes up with this error in firefox.

Error response:
---------------
            Forbidden
                You don't have permission to access /typo3/alt_doc.php on
this server.
--------------

During testing/fault finding the following settings were made on particular
files & folders

For testing purposes these folders set to 777

    /home/username/public_htm/typo3_src-4.1.5/

    /home/username/public_htm/typo3_src-4.1.5/typo3/

And the file being requested was also set to 777

            /home/username/public_htm/typo3_src-4.1.5/typo3/alt_doc.php

But the error still existed, and that is, not being able to save existing
pages and content after editing them. Clear cache still didnt work either.

Okay the following is how we got it working:

Likley the above error is caused by the mod_security module for Apache. This
module filters the data that gets sent to the server and blocks off any
potential attack on the server. Sometimes the filter rules are too strict
that it hinders the operation of legitimate scripts.

Solution:
--------
You can disable mod_security just on a/the particular directory by inserting
the following lines into a .htaccess file:

<IfModule mod_security.c>
SecFilterEngine off
</IfModule>

Hope this may help some out there.