[TYPO3-english] Interesting UTF-8 Bug (maybe related to apache or php)

Sancar Saran sancar.saran at evodot.com
Mon Dec 22 10:22:29 CET 2008

Hello List.

We got buch of TYPO3 instances running well.

Until last setup (4.1.6)  we did not realize to 

$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['setDBinit'] = 'SET NAMES utf8;';

was not set in our TYPO3 instances.

Anyhow we realize the problem and try to fix one of our instances.

After adding

$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['setDBinit'] = 'SET NAMES utf8;';

into localconfig.php Backend page tree names are broken (as expected).

And suprisingly the other TYPO3 instances are broke too, more than that in 
every f5 refresh it was broke menu (on frontend) or page content.

After restarting apache problem was fixed.

Is there any info about this. 

Fixed instance was 4.1.6 
not fixed instances (all of them) was 4.2.1

They are sharing same TYPO3 soruce base (dummy and source method)
each of them have own mysql db
mysql server different than web server.



More information about the TYPO3-english mailing list