[TYPO3] locallang.xml and Cie documentation

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Wed Aug 27 19:41:01 CEST 2008

Hi Dmitry,

>> Where may I find documentation on what I may do with localization? I
>> know how to use locallang.xml files (and others that I defined myself)
>> but is it possible to split languages into separate locallang*.xml
>> files ? Should I load them using another way?
>
> You can find documentation on typo3.org. Here is a start:
> http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/core-documentation/doc_core_api/4.1.0/view/7/2/

Thanks.

>> I'll have lots of text with (yet) 4 languages and I think it would be
>> easier to maintain if I could get 4 different xml files instead of
>> just 1.
>
> You actually should. TYPO3 now requires each language to go to a
> separate file). For example, extensions are translated on the
> translation server. When user wants to get a translation, he uses EM to
> fetch it. This way he gets only languages he really needs.
>
>> I know I may create _csh but I think it would be harder to get all
>> stuff running smoothly as I think I could not distribute my
>> translations with the extension itself.
>
> You should ask in the translators list to install your extensions on the
> translation server. Next people can translate them to different languages.

Yes, I know this but my extension is still in very alpha state and for
the moment is not open-source. It will eventually become fully
open-source but for the moment I have to rewrite my stuff completely to
use TYPO3. The application was originally in four languages and as such
I already have the translation for these languages. When it becomes
stable enough and I know I may disclose it, then I'll ask the translator
list to do this the best way, and, as you said, not bother anymore with
keeping translation up-to-date.

--
Xavier Perseguers
http://xavier.perseguers.ch/en