[TYPO3] seriuos problem migrating 4.2.1 installtion to another server

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Wed Aug 27 09:45:11 CEST 2008

G.Unger wrote:
> although I do not consider myself expert/advanced TYPO3 user, the way of
> moving (dumping files and DB + modifying localconf.php) is the way that
> always forked for me.

Yes, it often works but it did not work in this case as you see... Therefore import/export would be better, easier and safer. Personally I use copy/dump only when I am sure that mysql/php/apache versions are same and so are settings.

> strange enough, that a new install of T3 4.2.1 workz even with umlaute
> in TS. I can move it online as I always do, make changes (more umlaute
> in TS) and dump it back to my local machine.

It is not about TYPO3. It is about your settings for TYPO3/database.

> coming back to the problem:
>
> how do I set
>
>> SET NAMES utf8
>> SET character_set_server utf8
>
> in install tool? there is only one input field and no more textarea
> showing up in install tool of 4.2.1 no textarea to insert 2 seperate lines.

Install tool, "All configuration", there you will find it.

> I tried inserting them comma seperated and even with a semicolon,
> nothing worked.
> than I tried to insert it manually in the localconf.php like
>
> $TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['setDBinit'] = 'SET NAMES utf8'.chr(10).'SET
> character_set_server utf8';

Please, don't :( This is playing and TYPO3 is not the system for playing. You should know what you are doing! Please, do not become offended with my words. I only wish the best. If you unsure, better ask here. Otherwise you can create harder problems for yourself. And it will be harder to help.

I read that you solved the problem already. Sounds good :)

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 Core team