[TYPO3] htmlarea rte & target attribute

Andreas Burg typo3 at andreasburg.de
Wed Aug 20 00:43:24 CEST 2008

Hello Kathryn,

if you're not working with framesets, what I assume, you don't need no attribute
target. I think you can disable it in your main-TS-template with the constant
editor under the rubrik "advanced". "PAGE_TARGET" empty (not set).

If you like to set a target="_blank" for external links, you can do that while
creating this links. It's not invalid, as long as you use DOCTYPE XHTML 1.0
Transitional.
   config.doctype         = xhtml_trans
   config.xhtmlDoctype    = xhtml_trans
These two lines in your main-TS-template sets the correct HTML head incl.
DOCTYPE, nothing else needed, even charset ist set correct, depending on your
system (I suggest working on a system that is completly configured to utf8)

If you like to work with a strict variant, where the target attribute is
invalid, you can mark your links with little icons to give a little hint, which
links will open a new window.

Andreas