[TYPO3] UTF8 in MySQL Database with a MySQL client in latin1

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Mon Aug 18 12:05:15 CEST 2008

Hi!

Dominique Feyer wrote:
> $TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['setDBinit'] = 'SET NAMES utf8;';
>
> If I add this line, the frontend (templavoila) loose the template
> configuration, and in the backend all the accentuated characters as
> trouble.

Yes. MySQL starts returning data differently. TemplaVoila cannot decode it anymore. You need to remap templates.

> Everything work nice in the TYPO3 backend and frontend, but if I insert
> data in the TYPO3 database with phpmyadmin or an other mysql client
> correctly configured in UTF8, the output in TYPO3 is not good

What do you mean by "correctly configured"?

> When i browse my database in PHPMyAdmin, i can't see the accentuated
> characters correctly except if I edit this record with phpmyadmin. But
> in this case TYPO as some trouble with the accentuated characters.

I guess phpMyAdmin does not make "set names utf8" automatically for you. This is why you see data in the wrong way.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 Core team