[TYPO3] Fee for GPL and

Sancar Saran sancar.saran at evodot.com
Mon Aug 11 17:41:56 CEST 2008

On Monday 11 August 2008 14:53:07 Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Sancar Saran wrote:
> > On Monday 11 August 2008 13:59:21 Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] wrote:
> >> Hi!

> >> No, you don't. You can but you do not have to.
> >
> > Yes you have to. Like red hat. Thats why we had cent os. They are
> > modified and compiled version of redhat enterprise sources which
> > accessible from internet.
>

> So if RedHat chooses to distribute Entrprise to you and me, RedHat must
> also send the source code to you and me. RedHat do not have to send it to
> John Doe because it does not distribute binaries to John Doe.

Probably I misunderstood the GPL licence. I tought, I have to publish code
public.

> Since I got binaries and sources, I can choose to put sources on my web
> site if I want. This is what GPL allows me to do.
>
> Again and again: if you made some changes (created an extension, for
> example), you are not required to send it to make it public. You can use it
> privately. Or you can send it to customer, who can use it privately. But
> the customer can choose to release it to public if he wants to. You can do
> it but you do not have to. Customer can do it but he do not have to.

Ok, I got it...

> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#UnreleasedMods
> =============================
> Q: A company is running a modified version of a GPL'ed program on a web
> site. Does the GPL say they must release their modified sources?
>
> A: The GPL permits anyone to make a modified version and use it without
> ever distributing it to others. What this company is doing is a special
> case of that. Therefore, the company does not have to release the modified
> sources. =============================
>
> You are required to distribute source code with the binary product but you
> are not required to make it world-public! You can but not required! You can
> sell GPLed program for $1,000,000 but you have to provide sources. And
> anyone who legally purchased from you can put that source code to public.
> This is what GPL does.

We are going to sell those extensions (which generates web site). We have to
provide sources to customer.

> >> Again, it is does not. You must provide sources to the customer along
> >> with encoded files. But he is not required to release them to public.
> >
> > Providing encoded and non necoded versions of same code was non sense and
> > you are right. Let say someting like this.
>
> Not non-sense. Ever heard that encoded code runs faster? :)

No, You have to install Zend Optimizer to run encoded files. Zend Optimizer
provides some opcode cace. And It can also runs faster your non encoded php
files.

And according to my tests. Zend Optimizer gives you %40 of APC. And my
experiences using Zend Guard alway problematic...

Regards

Sancar