[TYPO3] Fee for GPL and

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Mon Aug 11 13:59:46 CEST 2008

Hi all,

>> AFAIU, extensions that use TYPO3 framework have to use the GNU GPL
>> too. Is that true? That means that they are automatically open source.
>> I know
>
> No, it does not. You are not required to make your development open
> source. But if one legally gets your code, he can release it to public
> and you can't ask to make it private. This is what GPL does.
>
>> there will be changes for TYPO3 5.0 but for now I speak of the 4.x
>> branch ;-)
>
> v5 is released under GPLv2.

Thanks to all for your point(s) of view. Having the "business" layer
(thus without dependency to TYPO3 itself) connected to an open source
extension would be an option. I just wanted to know in which direction I
should go.

It is clear that I'm not thinking of making it available from TER with
proprietary stuff ;-) I already find quite strange to be able to
download extensions from TER which are clearly useless but for a
specific customer and cannot "wisely" be used elsewhere.

--
Xavier Perseguers
http://xavier.perseguers.ch/en/tutorials/typo3.html