[TYPO3] Images, mouseovers, popups, oh my!

Christian Andersen chran at nyx.dk
Thu Aug 7 17:00:44 CEST 2008

Hello typo3 people!

I have just gotten a new job, and they use typo3 on their home page, which
I've never used before!

So - my task is this:

My company does a lot of projects for cultural institutions and the like,
and therefore has a lot of cases they'd like to present to the public, like
a catalogue of things they've done.

http://img212.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mockup20080807wu7.jpg

The mock-up should tell the tale. The rectangles on the lower right are
thumbnails (ordinary image files). When you mouseover them, the title in the
circle changes to the corresponding case name.

(And yes, I did it myself, in Paint - my scanner isn't hooked up at the
moment :p)

When you click a thumbnail, a popup opens with a case description, an image,
and a link to download a presentation of the case in PDF-format.

The requirement is that it should be "relatively simple" to maintain, so
they're looking for something fairly automated.

I've looked at the different options and page-content categories typo3
gives, but I haven't found one quite like this! The only one close is "Raw
HTML", but that one isn't able to parse php, so not much use if I want to
use the database (which I do).

Does anyone have any ideas? I've contemplated writing a plugin/extension,
but someone MUST have come across something similar before ...

Kind regards,

Christian Andersen, Denmark