[TYPO3] Is DAM worth its use or is it dead?

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Tue Apr 29 09:26:30 CEST 2008

Michael Stucki wrote: on 17.04.2008 08:25:

>> There was a move to make the DAM part of the core. How is that going?
>> Can it be made a priority for 4.3?
>
> No plans for 4.3 but worth a thought for later use. I don't think we need
> all the document management features, but having an index of all the files
> would allow us to use file referencing like it is currently done with
> dam_ttcontent.
>
> So my wish is to split up the functionality and move this part into the core
> one day...

That is an interesting plan, I would support that.

Most of our customers are astonished when I have to tell them that the
files they attach to content elements are not really centrally
replaceable anymore, because they are just copies from files in
fileadmin. The soft references are there, but there is no real nice GUI
to manage those, is there?

That is the main benefit I see in the DAM way of organizing the files,
and why I have some DAM setups running.

Cheers,
Ernesto