[TYPO3] Is it possible to install extensions manually, bypassing the EM?

The Plankmeister plankmeister at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 28 13:29:08 CEST 2008

Hi...

I am in the enviable situation of not being able to install Typo3
extensions where the T3X file is more than approx 500kb. :(

I get the known EM that PHP has exceeded it's memory allocation. This
appears to be because - after having inspected the code - when the EM
tries to gunzip the T3X content, it pushes the memory usage of PHP over
it's allowed limit of 16MB.

I'm on a shared host, using a small amount of their webspace, so I have
no rights to change the setting in php.ini, and the host won't increase it.

It appears that this 16MB limit is for all current PHP threads running
combined, so I thought I'd wait until much later at night when -
theoretically - less people would be using the server, and therefore
there'd be more memory available. But it turned out that was just a theory.

So... I thought about just copying the required files from my local
installation up to the server... But then I'm sure there must be some
files that are either edited or uploaded that aren't in the
typo3conf/ext folder...

The question is... Is there a default place to find these things? Or is
it different for every extension? Or is it possible to somehow (fairly
simply) examine the code of an extension to see which files are placed
where, and which files are modified?