[TYPO3] Strange problem with UTF-8 menus

Christian Lerrahn typo3 at penpal4u.net
Mon Apr 28 04:34:07 CEST 2008

Hi,
I'm trying to set up a site in Tamil but am having strange problems
with the graphical menus. I can't read Tamil but the editor tells me
that while he sees page titles correctly in the backend, they show up
wrongly in the frontend menus. When we use a non-UTF-8 font, we can get
correct menus. However, then the page titles will be wrong in the HTML
because they need to be UTF-8 there.
The problem seems to be that letters get swapped around. According to
my understanding from studying websites about the Tamil alphabet these
2 letters actually form a kind of unit together. I can copy the
combination தே in here but when I try to delete the second of the 2
letters, it actually deletes the first (probably because the first one
can't stand on its own).
What I conclude is happening is that ImageMagick is mirroring this
letter from the font file. However, I don't really understand why it
would do that and even less why it would not do it in a regional
encoding instead of UTF-8.
Has anybody ever run into the kind of problem and has a hint for me?

Cheers,
Christian