[TYPO3] Typo3 server for virtual domains

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Wed Apr 23 11:02:35 CEST 2008

Hi Ronald,

> I would like to setup a typo3 server as a space for virtual domains.
> Each domain should have its own editing system. I guess we can still
> use only one typo3 installation.

This is the default way. You may install the TYPO3 source tree as a shared directory, as described in the install notes. You then create a website based on the "dummy" package and reference (symbolic link) the TYPO3 source which is stored somewhere outside the Web visible tree of directories. This way you share all common files and still have separate directories for your websites. Using this (recommended) setup, you need a dedicated database for each of your website, but you don't need a dedicated database *server* of course.

> What advices do you have for me?
> It will be an Ubuntu server on a AMD64 environment with LUV harddisk
> architecture.

Not relevant but for the fact that this is a Linux server and as such you may use symbolic links which would be a little bit trickier to do with Windows (it is possible to create hard links but it is not as handy as with Linux)

> After a couple of virtual domains we will move the mysql server onto
> a dedicated only internal reachable machine (private IP).

Not relevant because your database server, which may or not be installed on your webserver does not need any access to "outside" anyway.

Note: I think you were thinking really about a single physical website and multiple root trees for your websites. This might be possible, although I would not try it for offering hosting facilities. You will have problems with admin rights for each tree, allowing installation of extensions for a single tree and so on. Not speaking about once decouple the content of the database to make it independant.

> How many virtual domains can I handle with Typo3? Where is the
> limitation?

The question should be with "Apache" and the limit is really high I would say.

> Can I limit access for some of the extensions to certain users?

TYPO3 Built-in security mechanisms

> Can I limit the database quota within typo3 or need to limit via
> mysql?

Not part of TYPO3. You may read hard quota support in Ubuntu or this:

* http://projects.marsching.org/mysql_quota/
* http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?35,19209,193543#msg-193543

> Spinning that thoughts further, I would like to have a second server
> at another location (far away) and use mysql in a cluster. Do you have
> any hints to that idea? or even experience?

Not relevant to this mailing list. However, a few ideas :

* You will have to replicate files: something based on rsync or unisson for instance
* You will have to replicate the database. See master/slave configuration for MySQL or any other DBMS you would use.

Regards

--
Xavier Perseguers