[TYPO3] Is DAM worth its use or is it dead?

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Wed Apr 16 09:43:57 CEST 2008

Dan Osipov wrote:
> Ok, here is my thinking. Media management is a key component of a modern
> CMS. DAM has accomplished the job, but as we see, development has ceased
> due to the project leader leaving. The area must continue to evolve though.
>
> I am not an expert at Typo3 (in fact, I'm fairly new), but from what I
> can see, the DAM was functioning by XCLASSing several core files. It
> also looks different from Typo3 - it's not using the same skin, which is
> especially evident when installed on 4.2

It only means that DAM developers were not aware of skinning API.

> So I vote to make DAM part of the core, by building the functionality
> that was done by XCLASSing into Typo3, rebuilding DAM to use the back
> end skin, etc. It doesn't have to become part of the core, but with
> these modifications, it might as well. I'm willing to help, but again, I
> don't know the core that well, and it would be best to have at least a
> few core developers participating in this project.

It can live as extension in TER very well. Not many need DAM. As to XCLASSing, I am sure most functionality can be done with hooks. If there are no hook, they always can requested. But I am strong -1 for replacing old file module with DAM.

> Should we move this discussion into the DAM list?

I do not want to subscribe there ;) Feel free to discuss there though :)

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team