[TYPO3] Is DAM worth its use or is it dead?

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Tue Apr 15 09:06:52 CEST 2008

Hi!

Christopher Schnell wrote:
> This is just my personal opinion and it surely does not match with most
> DAM users:
>
> I used DAM in my last two projects and unless forced to, I will not use
> it again. It only confuses the editor and so far, I have never seen an
> "normal" editor of a web page (I am not talking about magazines and
> such) use any meta information. He just orders his images and media
> files in a folder tree as he is used to and is happy. So in 98% of all
> cases I (personal opinion) do not see any real reason why I should use
> the DAM any more. The ususal file-module is easy and fast and as long as
> you do not need any particular feature of DAM as Must-Have feature,
> leave it.

I tried DAM several times as editor (not as programmer) and I came to exactly the same conclusion. Intersting to see that I am not alone.

May be the problem with DAM is the same as with Commerce: both were developed by programmers without trying to look how ordinary people can use it (and if they can at all).

No offence to developers of DAM&Commerce. We (developers) all suffer from this problem. I am not an exclusion.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team