[TYPO3] Is DAM worth its use or is it dead?

Francois Suter fsuter at cobweb.ch
Tue Apr 15 08:48:55 CEST 2008

Hi Xavier,

> Anyway, my question is more about DAM itself. I find this extension
> (and
> those who are related) very good and useful. However, there seems
> to be
> freeze of some of DAM extension and I was said that DAM was somehow
> "dead". Is is true? Should I go on with it, trying to find a good
> source
> of information on why these indexing services are not working on my
> server? Is it worth the try? Or should I forget about this
> extension and
> use another extension for document management? Or forget at all
> about it
> with TYPO3?

Short answer is: the DAM is not dead.

The longer answer is that it sure went through a period of stasis
when René Fritz left the community altogether. After a while the
development was picked up by a bunch of people who are doing their
best (being volunteers like all of us) to patch the most important
bugs and more generally move the DAM forward again. The pace may seem
slow at times, but at least things are moving and the DAM is not left
in dead water anymore. About the lack of information I realised that
not so many people seem to be using the DAM. Obviously the fact that
the development was more or less stopped scared a lot away. As far as
I'm concerned my company is using it in 3 major projects and it's
working fine except for one big issue in relation with workspaces,
which was fixed by Kasper in the upcoming 4.2.

We can discuss further on Thursday if you like ;-)

Cheers

François Suter

--
Cobweb Development Sàrl
www.cobweb.ch

Rue Eugène-Marziano 15, CH-1227 Les Acacias (Geneva - Switzerland)
T: +41 22 880 00 93, F: +41 22 880 00 94, E: support at cobweb.ch
web solutions for professionnal requirements