[TYPO3] Direct mail problems

Rob De Vries spam_this at pandora.be
Wed Sep 26 11:35:30 CEST 2007

Brian Bendtsen wrote:

> 2.
> This is really weird, my emails are not shown as they should and this is
> probably because the right stylesheet is not applied.

shamefull copy/paste of Christoher's reply on this subject a week ago:

In fact, placing css in the head will fail in most (all?) webmail
systems--since when viewing a message in a webmail client, the client
has control of the head section of the document. If I remember
correctly, the only webmail system that keeps your styles is Yahoo--I
believe it renames them though!

Since html emails usually /need/ to be quite ugly in terms of code
(layouts effectively /must/ be (a) very simple, or (b) table-based),
you can use this strategy to increase the odds of your css styles
being available: place a <style ... > element INSIDE the body element
instead of putting it in the head. As far as I know, tjos wprls with
all major desktop email clients and with most webmail systems (Gmail,
for example, allows only very  limited use of CSS).

Dont try anything too complicated though--Microsoft made html email
rendering much /worse/ this year [1].

-- Christopher Torgalson http://www.typo3apprentice.com/ [1]
http://www.campaignmonitor.com/blog/archives/2007/01/microsoft_takes_email_design_b.html

ps: it is better to copy somethig good than to create something bad ;)