[TYPO3] How to unpublish the whole front-end?

Bill Taroli bill.taroli at billsden.org
Thu Sep 20 23:06:46 CEST 2007

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] wrote:
> Ignatius Reilly wrote:
>
>> Is there a built-in way to unpublish a whole site from the admin panel
>> (to bring a site down, while keeping access to the BE), like there is
>> with Joomla?
>>
>> Searched about, couldn't find it (using 4.1)
>>

> No sich feature. See thread named "TYPO3 4.2 suggestions" posted today for some hints about it.

There are many possible approaches. The simplest one that comes to mind
that I use sometimes is to add an index.html to the usual index.php in
the htdocs directory. If both names are listed in DirectoryIndex apache
directive (or similar for your web server), with a preference for
index.php, then switching your dynamic site to something static for a
maintenance page is as simple as renaming the index.php file (symlink). :-)

Bill Taroli