[TYPO3] Typo3 4.2 suggestions

Johnny Peck johnny at slipcasemedia.com
Sat Sep 15 15:28:32 CEST 2007

Aloha Darko Jr.,

Darko Jr. Gonzalez wrote:
> Heya
>
> I dont know where to post to suggest these two features, which I think
> are kinda important. Among the loads of flexibility and options Typo3
> provides I didnt find these two:
>
> 1. Via page properties there are these cache values:
> 1min, 5min, 15min, 30min, 1h, 4h, 1d, 2d, 7d, 1m
> I need 12h, or I found there is clearCacheAtmidnight, but I want to
> optimize it, or put a workaround, so is there a way to set that each day
> at exactly 4pm the page cache is cleared and recached at next visit?

If you are interested in this 'feature' there are a few possible ways to
approach it.  You could look into the code ( it is open source ;) ) and
search for 'midnight' or something similar.  I would say search for
cache but you will not like the results.  The cache clearing at midnight
I believe, although this is just from memory so don't quote me on that,
is coded in the file class.tslib_fe.php.  Most of the codebase is
incredibly well documented for such a beast as TYPO3.

You can also file an 'it's not a bug, its a missing feature' request at
http://bugs.typo3.org.  Make sure to file it as a feature request.  This
is by no means a bug.  Use google to search for a few minutes about this
as well and you may find some useful information or a solution.

Google is generally the best first move prior to posting on the list.  I
use google to search the lists anyhow!

> 2. I've used abit Joomla, there is a handy section there which allows me
> to disable the website FE for regular preview by a single click. How do
> I achieve that. As far as I know there is no such thing in Typo3, unless
> I do it manually e.g.:
>     - hide homepage, but the other pages are accessible directly
>     - deactivate the root template. shows template not found for TV, but
> I dont know how to revert back to activated, unless I do undo from the
> logs.
> My suggestion, pretty simple. One click goes under "site maintenance",
> one click goes live back. Eventually that we can set a picture/baner
> while offline/under maintenance - that would be great.

This is easy enough.  Create a new page directly under the root of your
installation page tree ( It looks like a little globe ).  Call this page
something appropriate such as Landing Page or Maintenance.  Make sure
this page is NOT within your actual site root but a new template and
pagetree above your regular site.

Create your Maintenance template as you see fit on this new page.  Make
sure the page is set to 'hidden' unless you are doing maintenance.  If
you are doing maintenance, simply unhide the page and TYPO3 will direct
traffic to that page rather than your normal site automagically.

If you are using domain records in TYPO3 then this may require a bit
more clicking about but not much.  Read the documentation about domain
records if you happen to be using them.

This is very similar to creating a portal of sorts for a group of
domains and very easy to accomplish.  If you feel so inclined you could
create an extension that manages this for you.  For example, a new
option for 'Maintenance' which redirects all TYPO3 traffic to a
maintenance domain when the option is set.

> Thanks
>

> Darko

I hope that was helpful in some manner.  Good luck!

Aloha,

Johnny Peck