[TYPO3] newsletters cross-mail client compatiblity

Christopher Torgalson bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 16:56:43 CEST 2007

Hi,

On 9/14/07, Rob De Vries <spam_this at pandora.be> wrote:

> > BTW, I read these:
> > http://www.campaignmonitor.com/blog/archives/2007/04/a_guide_to_css_support_in_emai_2.html
> > http://www.campaignmonitor.com/blog/archives/2006/12/how_to_test_html_emails.html
>
> but have you read these?:
> http://www.campaignmonitor.com/resources/templates.aspx
>
> You also need to take care how TYPO3 renders his content.
> TYPO3 has the habit of generating alot of un nessecary code (especialy
> when using csc-styled content)
> I always use an adapted csc-styled content and reduse the types of
> content elements. (only 1 kind of text element, and 2 kind of txt w.
> image element, all modified)
>
> also take care of your 'head',  use the right doctype and dont use any
> JS. css must be in the head (no ext. css file)
>
> that's my 2 cents
>
> happy mailing

In fact, placing css in the head will fail in most (all?) webmail
systems--since when viewing a message in a webmail client, the client
has control of the head section of the document. If I remember
correctly, the only webmail system that keeps your styles is Yahoo--I
believe it renames them though!

Since html emails usually /need/ to be quite ugly in terms of code
(layouts effectively /must/ be (a) very simple, or (b) table-based),
you can use this strategy to increase the odds of your css styles
being available: place a <style ... > element INSIDE the body element
instead of putting it in the head. As far as I know, tjos wprls with
all major desktop email clients and with most webmail systems (Gmail,
for example, allows only very  limited use of CSS).

Dont try anything too complicated though--Microsoft made html email
rendering much /worse/ this year [1].

--
Christopher Torgalson
http://www.typo3apprentice.com/