[TYPO3] Making multi-lingual sites

Tomas Mrozek mail at cascaval.com
Wed Oct 17 11:26:16 CEST 2007

> What I mean is, is the content going to get rendered correctly when it's in russian or chinese or french?

Yes. However, if some content is outputed by an extension, it depends on
how well the extension handles it.

 > And saved correctly in the database?

Yes, if you stick to utf-8.

> Can anyone give any links to useful resources for TYPO3 in relation to
> multiple languages? Or advice?

I've built a couple of multilingual websites and TYPO3 handles it quite
well. Backend is pretty multilingual (if something is not translated,
you can always translate it yourself) and frontend has no problems
either (if setup correctly).

There are some glitches, though:

* Websites are usually not translated by customers themselves but by
professional translators. And this could be cumbersome. I know at least
about one extension that helps to handle translation of the content
(t3_locmanager). However, you have to think about how to handle it when
the site is already built. If someone changes the content of the default
language, the translations should be changed as well. This means you
need something that easies this process: notifies responsible person
that some default content has changed and re-translation is needed.
t3_locmanager doesn't handle it and I don't know about any other tool.

* If other language versions are edited by people who don't understand
the default language (ie. Chinese branch of the company edits the
Chinese page versions of default Hungarian pages) they might be a bit
confused because the page tree always shows the page names in default
language (unless you decide to use multiple-tree concept). The only
thing that helps them in such a case is the Info module that can display
all pages and their translations.

Tomas Mrozek