[TYPO3] External FE Auth

Francois Suter fsuter at cobweb.ch
Thu Nov 29 15:15:08 CET 2007

Hi,

> I want to authenticate FE users from some external DB. There is extension
> for this but i don't want it to create FE users in Typo3 db. So my question
> would be - is it possible to authenticate FE users without them being in
> typo fe_users table? I saw couple of FE auth. extensions working similar -
> they first check if user exists in external repository and if auth passes
> they create user in typo fe_users table. I don't see a need for duplicating
> user data again in Typo3 db but maybe it's a must ? Thx.

I recently ran into the same problem (with BE users, but the system is
the same). Here is what happens (I'm forgetting some steps, such as when
authUser() is called, but it's the basic idea):

- the user data is retrieved (getUser() method of the auth service)
- the returned array must contain a user uid
- a session is created with that uid
- the returned array is emptied
- the array is filled again by reading the session entry and joining it
with the users table (fe_users or be_users)

I suppose this is for increased security.

The result is that you absolutely need to have a uid for each user. I
suppose you could imagine creating temporary records with dummy uid's in
the users table, but then you would need to come up with some clean up
mechanism.

HTH

--

Francois Suter