[TYPO3] newbie trouble - template

Francois Suter fsuter at cobweb.ch
Tue Nov 13 10:29:15 CET 2007

Hi Suresh,

> I just installed typo3 on my debian machine and I would like to say
> that I am amazed by its power. I want to use typo3 for building my
> dept website. Very quickly i realised that the available static
> templates wont give me a professional looking website and i need
> better looking templates.

Yes, static templates are a bit old and out of fashion :-)

> Somehow I learned that I need to install templavoila for using
> templates like andreas01 etc. But the doc of templavoila said, i
> must read futuristic template building before I can start. But
> futuristic template building document says, i must read modern
> template building part 1 at least to go ahead.

TemplaVoilà is not the only way, but it is one. I use it daily and am
entirely satisfied, but other prefer the methods described in Modern
Template Building.

> Is it that i must study these 3 huge manuals before I can build a
> nice looking website using typo3, similar to the ones build by my
> friends using other content management systems? I read the official
> typo3 book, but it wont help me with professional looking web site
> design.
>
> Am i going wrong somewhere? Is there an easy/better approach?

There's no easy way into TYPO3. It is a complex system, but you will
find immensely rewarding. Reading the Modern Template Building and
then the Futuristic Template Building documents is certainly the way
to go. There's also a TypoScript by Example document which is very
useful (http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/core-
documentation/doc_core_tsbyex/current/).

It's a lot of reading, but it's worth every penny, even though you
may discouraged at times. Good luck!

HTH

François Suter

--
Cobweb Development Sàrl
www.cobweb.ch

Rue Eugène-Marziano 15, CH-1227 Les Acacias (Geneva - Switzerland)
T: +41 22 880 00 93, F: +41 22 880 00 94, E: support at cobweb.ch
web solutions for professionnal requirements