[TYPO3] Content Element Files, avoid copy to uploads

Krystian Szymukowicz t33kRE.MO.VE. at RE.MO.VE.prolabium.com
Wed May 30 18:17:45 CEST 2007

Mike Morris wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am using the files content element (standard).
> The prob is, that I am working with mp3 files (around 45MB each) , and I
> want to avoid that these files are copied to uploads/ ...
> Because these files are clearly sorted in folders in fileadmin.
>
> I also tried to read the files from path. This works, _but_ does not sort
> correctly when using date as filenames.
>
> The mechanism taht files are copied to uploads/ ... - I want to switch this
> off for "files" content elements.
>
> Any suggestions or  hints on that?

I am not sure if you could simply turn it off. This is how standard
TYPO3 filemanagment works.

Instead of changing you can consider using the new TYPO3 filemanagment
system - DAM (Digital Assets Management).
http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/view/dam/1.0.11/
DAM makes references to files instead of coping them.

Or you better download and install DAM 1.1 RC1
http://typo3lab.colorcube.de/dam.html. It is stable - I use it on few
pages with no problems so far. (just get dam_src-20070410-1.1RC1.zip,
unpack it to typo3conf/ext and install)

Then you can search TYPO3 extensions for DAM replacement of standard
"files content element".

good luck

--
greetings