[TYPO3] Characters not in iso 8859-1

Helge Preuss scout at hyperspace-travel.de
Thu May 24 17:42:53 CEST 2007

Rob De Vries wrote:

> If I look at your header, First thing is see is the xml prolog, do you
> think is usefull for your website?

I don't think it is, but I don't know how to turn it off either. The
DOCTYPE is defined in the template, but removing it did not get rid of
the prolog. Any hints?
> Second:
> the first meta about your characters gets overwritten by your second one
> (the iso)
> One reason for this is that you forgot to strip this when using a
> template parser and still placing on in your 'head'.

You are right about this, but regrettably this didn't solve my problem.
The HTML header now correctly contains the line

only once, but my special chars still show up as "?".

Is there anything else to try? I fear even if I solve this, the next
problem will be flexible content elements anyway, because they are
stored in the field tx_templavoila_flex of tt_content as XML defined as

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" standalone="yes" ?>