[TYPO3] Accessibility: Typo3 vs other CMS

Bernd Wilke xoonsji02 at sneakemail.com
Fri Mar 30 12:14:59 CEST 2007

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 22:52:39 -0700, Christopher Torgalson wrote
with subject "Re: [TYPO3] Accessibility: Typo3 vs other CMS":

> On 3/29/07, Tyler Kraft <headhunterxiii at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> > 'ello Christopher
> >
> > (No I don't ever sleep which is why, before you ask I'm up at 6am and
> > emailing and listening to NIN)
>
> I see that.
>

> > True, but in the UK its about accessibility and usability. Organisations
> > like the RNIB and such have a big impact here on the web that it is
> > important that the BE is accessible as well as the FE.  And I have no
> > doubt that it would be hard to implement but the simple fact is that the
> > UK, the US and most of the world will sooner or later require it to be
> > accessible.
>

> It is here (Canada) too. Not as much, but growing all the time. I was
> trying to make the point that even though this is an important
> subject, it has so far completely failed to catch fire in the one
> place I'd have had the highest hopes for: the HCI group.
>
> In the HCI list, responses to threads or posts about accessibility
> generally fall into one of the following forms:
>
> -- that's not important (it IS important...)
> -- that IS important, but it's too hard to do so don't talk about it
> (it's not insurmountably difficult)
> -- that would interfere with many nifty ajaxifications (it needn't)
> -- it's too difficult, so we should make an alternate, accessible BE
> (a little patronizing to those who NEED accessibility, IMO, but this
> may be the best option at the moment)
> -- why don't YOU do it if it's so important (as if rewriting the BE in
> an accessible way could be done without the wholehearted participation
> of the core group)
>
> I hate to say it, but I think it may take some of the bigger TYPO3
> agencies losing a few plum government contracts for the issue to gain
> any traction. As things stand, if a client comes to me with a need for
> a CMS that is or can easily be made reasonably accessible throughout,
> TYPO3 wouldn't even make the list--and this is the /only/ circumstance
> where I would eliminate TYPO3 at the beginning of a CMS implemntation
> job.

just my 2cent:

it sounds like building a bus in mass-production which is accesible by
every(!) impaired. And don't think the impaired are passengers. the bus
should be driven by the impaired.

Bernd
--
http://www.bernd-wilke.net