[TYPO3] Accessibility: Typo3 vs other CMS

Denyer Ec denyerec at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 11:23:29 CEST 2007

There are two types of accessibility, "perceptive" and "disability"
related. I know sometimes when I say "typo isn't that accessible" I'm
talking in terms of "The average joe" trying to get into the system,
rather than a specific WAI issue.

My grandmother is not disabled, but she would not feel comfortable
with the Typo3 BE interface. This is a perceptive issue. Someone with
a screen reader or bad vision is going to have a hard time with the
tiny icons and quirky layouts, this would be disability related.

It is to my limited understanding that the BE in  5.0  will be a
skinned FE, if that concept is way off mark I apologise but that's
what I've picked up from what I have read. It may not work for
everyone and it might seem like a bit of a cop-out, but I would
consider that efforts to make the 5.0 "BE" accessible should/would be
the primary concern of the development group. (And yes I'm well aware
that does leave people for whom BE disabilility accessibility is a
showstopper, well, stopped in the short term)