[TYPO3] htmlArea substitutes: tinyrte, rte_tinymce, tinymce - which is the best?

Francois Suter fsuter at cobweb.ch
Fri Mar 23 10:16:15 CET 2007

Hi all,

> Since there is some "trouble" with htmlArea and Firefox 2.0.0.3 (And
> beside this customizing htmlArea sucks, doesn´t it?!) I´m thinking about
> using an alternative RTE.

Beyond the partisan talk and the Mac/PC jokes :-) an interesting point
was raised by Tomasz Rakowski in the RTE mailing list: HTMLArea is no
longer being maintained nor developed.

I haven't tested the other RTE extensions for TYPO3, because I am
familiar with HTMLArea (and it took me quite some time getting there),
but the fact that the project itself is dead meat is disturbing. Also,
Mihai Bazon stopped developing it because he found is own code bloated
and far from optimal.

I think it raises the question (also raised by Dimitry Dulepov) whether
it really makes sense that HTMLArea is the official RTE for TYPO3.

I have not enough experience in this field to judge, but can anyone
guess how much work it is to integrate some other HTML editor with the
level of possible configuration that was achieved by the rtehtmlarea
extension?

Cheers

--

Francois Suter