[TYPO3] Retrieving RECORD bodycontent via TS?

Tyler Kraft headhunterxiii at yahoo.ca
Thu Mar 22 21:34:17 CET 2007

> Tone is important.  A response saying "You're completely wrong! Go read
> the manual" is insulting.
Fine tone is important. But in this case my response is correct - your
use of the syntax is wrong. The manual describes the correct use of
syntax for this cObject.

> You told me that using the RECORDS cObject is inappropriate for this
> case, which isn't a "fact" if Typoscript By Example is to be believed.
> If I'm reading that page in TSByEx wrong, feel free to enlighten me as
> to how.
Fine but that wouldn't have been my first choice - I would have probably
done it differently completely (possibly the way you tried with DB :
tt_content:1:bodytext) But your problem isn't getting the content out -
its processing it to look 'pretty'.

> It wasn't random. According to TSRef, the "source" property of RECORDS
> has stdWrap.  "field" is a stdWrap property.  If there's a syntax error
> in putting stdWrap properties off "source", you could have just said
> that and told me how to access stdWrap from a RECORDS cObject (if that's
> even possible), and I would have been happy.  But everywhere else I've
> seen "stdWrap" listed in a property's "Data type" column in TSRef, it
> means you can hang stdWrap methods off it.  Hence my confusion.

But it is random - as TSref says that 'source' is a list of record ids,
not fields. And it says that you can use stdWrap properites because in
soem instances you might want to use stdWrap to access get variables or
a select or something to generate the record id.

> Yes, it's "mentioned" in TSRef, in the sense that TSRef says "it is
> possible to do this" and then gives no helpful examples or instructions
> on HOW to do it.  Again, if the key is adding a rendering definition,
> just say that and tell me how.

Its a reference manual, not examples. And regarding rendering methods -
I did, I sent you to look up what TSref says to do and what you have for
options. I'm not going to regurgitate the document for you. Nor am I
going to define your rendering definition for you. I firstly don't know
what you want it to render like but I also am not about to do it for
you. And it, at least to me, was obvious that you lacked a rendering
method which is again why I said to go to TSref.

The thought was that you might start to look how things are rendered via
tt_content and then 1) learn how to render it 2) learn that your actual
problem lies elsewhere, in parseFunc. And yes I could have told you that
to start with but if I (and others here) constantly did that then it
would become much like constant spoon feeding answers to people.

> ...but don't tell me to meditate on incorrect answers and then say it's my
fault when
> things don't work. This "blame the [l]user" attitude is the worst part
> about being part of the global TYPO3 community.

I didn't tell you to meditate on anything I said to check the syntax in
TSref. So here, where the syntax was wrong and it wasn't getting
anything out, who's fault would that be if not your?

I don't know how long you've been building with typo3 but from this
whole exchange its plain to see that your rather frustrate with it
today. Look at it this way mate - you learned something new today, it
will possibly greatly help your understanding of T3, and tomorrows a new
day. I just hope things go a bit better for you with your site tomorrow

Night.