[TYPO3] csc-textpic: problem with floats

Tapio Markula tapio.markula at atwebteam.com
Tue Mar 20 10:59:28 CET 2007

Felix Natter kirjoitti:
> Nicola Della Marina <nicola.dellamarina at webformat.com> writes:
>
>> Monday, March 19, 2007, 3:22:33 PM, you wrote:
>> Hi Felix
>>
>>> Do I have to switch to a table layout? I'd like to avoid this because
>>> accessibility is a requirement.
>> If you have a two columns layout you can use the opposite columns
>> technique.
>> Insert "float:left" in your content div with a right margin as the
>> width of the right column.

float and DIV designing has several problems

1) the height of the container for floated elements doesn't grow
automatic - very bad problem
for several rows of images because you should set the height of the
container taking account the *maximum* height. Tables don't have this
problem
2) height of divs are different. If you try to set height as 100% that
will fail in many situations. Tables don't have this problem

Because of serious layout problems I have sometimes changed DIV layout
into conventional tables. Concening the latter problem DIVs are usable
if you don't need to set background properties.