[TYPO3] Web host security

Christopher Torgalson bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 19:14:58 CET 2007

Hello,

On 3/19/07, jbaker <mordac2 at pixolight.com> wrote:
> My web host has the fantastico tools available... When I install typo3
> (currently of 4.04) and do a permissions check on the typo3 folder
> everything is set to 777 -
>
> I've also done a manual install of typo3 4.1, but the only way I could
> get it to complete is to chmod -R 777 on the folder...
>
> All of the folders are under public_html, My question is: Is this
> secure, or should I do something different...
>
> Thanks for any advice...

On shared hosts, a common strategy is to change the /group/ of the
directories and files (typo3conf, typo3temp, uploads, fileadmin) that
TYPO3 needs write access to to the group that the Apache user (often
called 'nobody') belongs  to so that permissions can be set to 775 /
664 (for directories and files respectively).

On shared hosts, you won't be able to do this yourself, but will have
to contact the host to do it for you.

--
Christopher Torgalson
http://www.typo3apprentice.com/