[TYPO3] pageNotFound_handling ignored

Nick Weisser typo3 at openstream.ch
Sat Mar 3 04:31:57 CET 2007

Hi there,

I've got a problem with a TYPO3 4.0.4 installation in regard to

$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['FE']['pageNotFound_handling']

If I change this the default value from false to an absolute URL or a
relative link (e.g. index.php?id?108) this does not produce the desired
result, but only returns an empty page (i.e. really empty, nothing in
the source code - no TYPO3 logo with any error message - nada!).

$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['FE']['pageNotFound_handling_statheader'] on the other
hand works fine. If I change the default value from

HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found

to anything else I can clearly see the HTTP headers change accordingly.

So my question is why is pageNotFound_handling being ignored by my TYPO3
installation? I've disabled RealURL in my TS setup and have uninstalled
all previously installed 404 error handling extensions - to no avail.

Do I have to look deeper into my Apache configuration? I've just disabled a

ErrorDocument 404 /errors/404/index.php

default entry from the virtual host in question and restarted Apache.

My htaccess file is the TYPO3 default, too.

Where else should I look?

Any pointer as to what I might be missing would be very much appreciated.

Cheers, Nick

Openstream Internet Solutions
http://www.openstream.net