[TYPO3] [TYPO3-dev] Indexed Search Performance Improvement

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Thu Mar 1 17:53:02 CET 2007

Peter Russ wrote: on 01.03.2007 11:01:

>>> The problem is that the syntax for the SQL query is different for full
>>> text indices. So indexed search needs to know if it runs on Mysql. But
>>> we could change indexed search so it knows about DBAL (a sysext after
>>> all). There are other places in the Core where we check for the presence
>>> of specific extensions.
>>
>> An idea would be a indexed_search_mysql "add-on extension" which uses
>> mysql specific SQL, while indexed_search continues to work with basic
>> SQL-only. In future we could also have "indexed_search_oracle" etc for
>> speedups on other platforms.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ernesto
>
> Instead of suppling different versions I would add some more hooks so
> the DB specific parts could be optimized more lean.

Not different versions, but "add ons", which means extensions that
implement the hooks in a platform specific way:

1) indexed_search = mother of all indexed_searches, does it the
"standard SQL" way but provides hooks for specialized queries, where
appropriate.

2) indexed_search_mysql = implements the hooks provided by
indexed_search in a MySQL-way.

So I think we are speaking of the same thing here. I would add the
indexed_search_mysql extension as a sysext to core, because this is what
most people will use.

Cheers,
Ernesto