[TYPO3] Typo3 upgrade from 3.6 to 4.1

Flint Stelter stelter at ddas.de
Tue Jun 26 14:51:17 CEST 2007

Nino Katic wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I think i have already ask this question in past and did not get usefull
> answer so let me try again. I have very old Typo3 installation (3.6.2) with
> many web sites and couple of extensions installed (like tt_news 1.0.2,
> aliaspro etc..). Is it possible to make upgrade of this to the newest ver.
> of Typo3? I already tried it in past and it didn't work well. So if someone
> has done it, please share your experience. Thx.
>
> Regards,
>
> Nino

I *highly* recommend doing a backup first, of both the database and the
extensions, so you can fallback if necessary.
then slowly work yourself up through the ascending version numbers.
between every update check the site and every module if it´s still
working, some dependencies can be tricky.

also it doesn´t hurt to do the same with extensions. Download older
versions from the repository, upgrade carefully and watch what happens.
keep an eye on "exotic" extensions or any custom ones.

I did something like this before, and I only encountered a huge problem
somewhere around 3.8, but I can´t tell you anymore what it was.
Then I "forced" it up to the newest version and had to look in the error
logs to find out what went wrong. Only recommended in a testing
environment, though.

take care
Flint Stelter
http://www.dasdingansich.de