[TYPO3] Portal development :: TYPO3 or Drupal - which way to go

Rahul Dewan [srijan.in] lists at srijan.in
Tue Jun 26 09:17:44 CEST 2007

Hi,

We have a couple of customers who are looking to build
a) big portal on Environment and Conscious Living
b) an India-centric Knowledge portal on Environment and Climate Change

*We, having been developing on TYPO3, for 3 years now, are most comfortable
building these on TYPO3*.

However, there are suggestions in our company, and from the customer,
suggesting use of Drupal for these, since there would be:
- heavy use of Community/Social Networking features
- page views : running into multi-million page views each month

Is TYPO3's cacheing engine sound enough to handle such huge number of page
views? I, being a non-technical business manager, am told that it may not be
good enough to handle the same.

Community features would include:
- MediaWiki (or some good database driven Wiki) integration with access to
registered users [Drupal has http://drupal.org/project/liquid for handling
this]
- Lots of Social Networking features, for which Drupal is well known

Please do drop in some suggestions on this, and whether there should be any
concerns we should be carrying vis-a-vis developing/implementing these on
TYPO3.

Are there any people out there doing similar work on TYPO3, or requiring
features to implement such portals. If yes, then we can join hands, and
release some useful stuff in the TER.

Thanks,
Rahul
--
Rahul Dewan  |  Managing Director  |  Srijan Technologies Pvt. Ltd. INDIA
www.srijan.in  |  enquiry at srijan.in
91-11-2622 5926 / 2622 5931  |  Fax: 91-11-4160 8543
CSR: http://srijanfoundation.wordpress.com/