[TYPO3] page 404 - check logged in or not

Chris Paige system at chrispaige.info
Mon Jun 25 21:23:18 CEST 2007

Hello all,

I have a "404 - page not found" page setup and it works fine, in general
(TYPO3 v. 4.0.x)

I would like to have it display one set of content if the user is not
logged (i.e. "you need to log in!") and a different message if the user
is logged in (i.e. a sitemap).  I have used the visibility settings on
content elements to attempt this scenario (i.e. Show at any login, Hide
at any login).  It does not seem too complicated.

However, the 404 renders as if *not* logged in, even if I am logged in.
I am guessing that the 404 page does not check cookies for some reason?

Can others confirm this?  Do others know what this behavior is occuring
and if it is intentional? Is there a work around?

Thanks!

Chris