[TYPO3] multiple frontend versions of a site

Бойчук Петро petro.boychuk at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 11:02:48 CEST 2007

I had similar problem.
I had 100% pages for each locale, and but 80% content was for all locales
(about 20% of content for each locale)

My decision was to create db table with locales, then i added 1 field to
tt_content table - locales.
Now content manager can select one of the locales for tt_content record.

The only problem was to show records with that locale. As fa as 80% of
content was for all locales the same, I decided if there is no locale in the
list it will be shown in all locales. Then I wrote typoscript to output
content
 smth like this

lib.leftContent = CONTENT
lib.leftContent {
    table = tt_content
    select.orderBy = sorting
    select.where = (colPos=0 AND hidden=0)
    select.andWhere= (tx_locales='1' OR tx_locales LIKE '%,1,%' OR
tx_locales LIKE '1,%' OR tx_locales LIKE '%,1' OR tx_locales='')
    select.languageField = sys_language_uid

    wrap = <!--TYPO3SEARCH_begin--> | <!--TYPO3SEARCH_end-->
}

lib.rightContent < lib.leftContent
lib.rightContent.select.where = (colPos=1 AND hidden=0)

lib.centerContent < lib.leftContent
lib.centerContent.select.where = (colPos=2 AND hidden=0)

[globalVar = GP:locale = 1]
lib.leftContent.select.andWhere= (tx_locales_city='1' OR tx_locales LIKE
'%,1,%' OR tx_locales LIKE '1,%' OR tx_locales LIKE '%,1' OR tx_locales='')
lib.rightContent.select.andWhere= (tx_locales='1' OR tx_locales LIKE '%,1,%'
OR tx_locales LIKE '1,%' OR tx_locales LIKE '%,1' OR tx_locales='')
lib.centerContent.select.andWhere=  (tx_locales='1' OR tx_locales LIKE
'%,1,%' OR tx_locales LIKE '1,%' OR tx_locales LIKE '%,1' OR tx_locales='')
[end]

(one condition for each locale)

I use templavoila. I've created 3 content zones, but changed them to
typoscript object in local processing so i could create content normally
like in templavoila.

I am sure my TS is very dirty. I think typoscript guru can tell you more
beautiful solution.

From my expirience: with this solution it is very unpleasant to handle
pages  with lots  of content if this page have content for all locales.
You can't see which content for what locale in TV page module. And so on...

Please let me know if you find more elegant solution.

> I'm not very sure how to phrase this need.  So I'll do my best to
> describe what my client needs.
>
> Requirements:
>
> - This is for an organization that has several physical locations.
>
> - The site needs to be customized for each physical location.
>
> - The user will select a location by clicking a link.
>
> - 99% of the pages (navigation) will be the same.
>
> - 50-75% of the content on those pages will be the same.
>

> Initial Thoughts:
>
> 1) it would be way too cumbersome, long-term, to create separate
> branches of the tree for each location.  It's important that all
> versions of the site have the same navigation.
>
> 2) Use TYPO3's translation mechanism.  What we are looking for is
> essentially all the same functionality that is already present in the
> translation features native to typo3.  We just don't want multiple
> languages.  We want multiple locations.
>
> Is that even a route worth pursuing?  Does typo3 support "ad-hoc"
> languages? made-up languages?  (I recognize that this would certainly
> add some issues if we ever decided to add alternate languages to the
> site.)
>
> 3) My only other thought at this point is to create a new extension
> which gives the ability to hide a page or content from a particular
> location.  even better would be the ability to add alternate versions
> for each content item... basically how translating content works.
>
> 4) Workspaces?  Can multiple workspaces be live at the same time?
>

> Any thoughts on this?  Is there an obvious method I should use that I
> just haven't thought of?
>
> --
> David Lanier

З повагою,