[TYPO3] multiple frontend versions of a site

Georg Rehfeld georg.rehfeld at gmx.de
Sun Jun 24 01:10:13 CEST 2007

Hi David, all,

David Lanier wrote:
> - This is for an organization that has several physical locations.
> - The site needs to be customized for each physical location.
> - The user will select a location by clicking a link.
> - 99% of the pages (navigation) will be the same.
> - 50-75% of the content on those pages will be the same.
> 2) Use TYPO3's translation mechanism.  What we are looking for is
> essentially all the same functionality that is already present in the
> translation features native to typo3.  We just don't want multiple
> languages.  We want multiple locations.
>
> Is that even a route worth pursuing?  Does typo3 support "ad-hoc"
> languages? made-up languages?  (I recognize that this would certainly
> add some issues if we ever decided to add alternate languages to the site.)

I think creatively abusing the translation feature will be a promising
way to go. AFAIK 'virtual' languages are possible (somewhere in the
translation documention Kasper has given a sample for a hypothetical
'Marsian' language). You even might be able to use languages like
'location_1_en', 'location_1_de', 'location_2_en', 'location_2_de'.
You would have to adapt all the language menu samples more or less,
but I think, it should be possible.

regards, Georg
--
   ___   ___
  | + | |__    Georg Rehfeld      Woltmanstr. 12     20097 Hamburg
  |_|_\ |___   georg.rehfeld.nospam at gmx.de    +49 (40) 23 53 27 10

               (Delete .nospam from mail address)