[TYPO3] Shortcuts: RealUrl, CoolUri or sms_directshortcuts?

Sander van Gelderen mail at sandervangelderen.nl
Sun Jun 10 18:00:18 CEST 2007

Hello list,

Excuse me for starting a new topic, Andreas & Ries had a thread going ('Shortcut URL generation is 'wrong'.') a few days ago,
  but in my experience people rarely read older posts, and I am facing a short deadline (that will teach me to leave things to
the last moment!). I would *realy* appreciate any help with this.

Here is my problem description:

I have a multilingual (single domain) site in 'sys_language_mode = strict'
Pages that are shortcuts point to pages that may not be available for certain languages. I have already found out that
  'Shortcut mode = first subpage' does not work for me, it would be nice if it was 'Shortcut mode = first *available* subpage', but
that is not the case and now I need to find another solution.

I have uninstalled RealUrl, installed CoolUri only to find out that this is also not the solution for me, because it requires
manual configuration of the links, and I have too many of them (nice extension though). Either I am missing something or expecting too much,
but isn't the point of having a cms not having to do this by hand? No critisism intended here, just an honest question.

What would be the best approach to take? Ries mentions sms_directshortcuts, it has no manual and I am not sure if it will help me.
I would be gratefull if anyone could report their experience with it, or explain it's pupose to me.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction if you can,

Sander van Gelderen