[TYPO3] Can I change the icon in the backend's page tree based on a flag?

Dobes Vandermeer dvandermeer at artlogic.com
Fri Jun 8 21:24:19 CEST 2007

I have a plugin which lets me attach a flag to a page.  I'd like to show
visually which pages have this flag set, and which don't, by modifying the
icon for the page, hopefully by adding a little "badge" like the way that
links work.

Is this possible?  I'm a bit of a newbie but I seem to have narrowed the
icon creation/selection down to t3lib_iconWorks::getIcon().  Here it
calculates the icon to use, but there doesn't seem to be any hooks for an
extension to modify the icon.  It seems to have a hardcoded list of flags
that are used to determine the unique identity of the icon, which later
determine the icon style and overlays:

($hidden || $timing || $futuretiming || $user || $deleted || $shaded ||
$noIconFound)

It looks like I'd have to add another flag, adjust $string and $flags, and
also change makeIcon() to detect the new type and add the correct
overlay.  Unfortunately, I want to do this in an extension, not by
modifying the core code.

Is there any hope for me?

Thanks,
Dobes